27-10-2010

Present

I have filed the one thousand plus photographs for future reference and changed the focus of my research.

While making a description of the traces of use in an interesting Lyonese book last week, I suddenly realised my inadequacy to continue with the corpus I had selected. In my enthusiasm I had not realised what effect not being able to read the books would have on my research. The meager Latin picked up at Highschool long ago and the Latin course I followed a couple of years ago at the University are helpful, but ultimately not enough to feel at ease studying Latin books and annotations, let alone annotations in Greek (which they often are, Lyon being an important city of Humanist thought).

This was last Friday. I spent the weekend cleaning up my computer, filing the Lyonese material and restarted Monday with a clean slate.

5 opmerkingen:

  1. Bad news ... [:-(].

    petrhaps get some help and/or training and continue with the "old" project?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I suppose I will have to make it one of my objectives to show that marginalia in Lisbon publications may be equally interesting as those printed in Lyon.

    Either that or maybe you could send me some of your students to help me decipher the L. and G. ?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. "
    maybe you could send me some of your students to help me decipher the L. and G. ?
    "

    Some of them probably can be rented. It might depend on the price.

    On the other hand: part of the Lisbon books will be in Latin anyway, won't they?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Mr. Kuhn: you are absolutely right! Of course there will also be Lisbon books in Latin, but somehow in the U.v.A. collection of this period there appears to be only one. And of course there will be Latin annotations, but it makes all the difference being able to read the book. I think I should be able to cope with Latin annotations in a Portugese book, for the Greek I would really need some help.
    Your option to PAY for help does not seem right. In Dutch the bookbusiness is often described as: 'Liefdewerk oud papier'. Working with books is such a thrill, one can hardly expect to get paid for it.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Note: 'liefdewerk oud papier', literally: 'love work old paper', to be translated as 'labour of love'. Unpaid labour. The Dutch saying originated in 1894 when a charity called 'Oud Papier' took up unemployment relief work. Old paper was collected and sold, the revenues of which were to benefit several Catholic organizations.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen